Terms & Conditions
I consent to the Financial Institution, and its agents and representatives, collecting, using, and disclosing my personal information provided in connection with this Application, and any changes or additions to this information provided in the future, for the purposes of:
- providing me, or a third party for whom I am acting, with Financial Institution products and services that I have applied for or may apply for in the future and providing information to suppliers of products and services to me or the Financial Institution in connection with providing these Financial Institution products and services;
- understanding my needs and determining the suitability of products and services for me; determining my eligibility for these products and services;
- establishing my identity; verifying information provided by me with third parties including my employer and other financial institutions, verifying information provided by third parties; administering the Account; and making sure my records are kept separate from others with the same name;
- protecting me, a third party for whom I am acting, or the Financial Institution from error and fraud such as identity theft;
- collecting a debt owed to the Financial Institution;
- transferring or selling Financial Institution assets, such as in an acquisition, merger, loan syndication, securitization of loans, or sale of loans;
- complying with legal requirements, including money laundering laws and regulations.
I consent to the Financial Institution, and its agents and representatives, disclosing my personal information to:
- suppliers of products and services to me or the Financial Institution, including data service providers, cheque printers, card manufacturers, affiliates of the Financial Institution, provincial or national central Financial Institutions or trade associations, in connection with providing and administering my Account and other products and services provided to me, or a third party for whom I am acting;
- participants in the payment and clearing systems in connection with providing or administering my Account and other products and services provided to me or a third party for whom I am acting, and to other financial institutions that I request pay cheques drawn on the Financial Institution;
If there is more than 1 Applicant, I consent to the Financial Institution disclosing information about the Account as instructed by either/any 1 of the Applicants.
If you have questions about the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information by the Financial Institution, please contact us.
Your privacy is important to us.
We are committed to protecting your privacy and safeguarding your personal and financial information. The internet has revolutionized the way that we do business such as providing convenient access to financial services from your home, office or anywhere else you may have access to the internet. We recognize that it may bring legitimate concerns about privacy and security. We routinely update our processes and procedures to ensure that our members' private information is protected.
To learn more about your privacy and this website, please refer to the Privacy Online page.
Our Commitment to Privacy
Credit Unions in Canada have a long history of respecting the privacy of their members. As co-operative financial institutions, credit unions are committed to developing policies, procedures and service offerings that address privacy concerns.
TCU Financial Group continues to protect your privacy and your right to control the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information, subject to legal or contractual obligations. We have procedures in place which guide our employees and directors in maintaining confidentiality. What has been our ongoing business practice has now become our documented commitment to you. We have adopted the Credit Union Code for the Protection of Personal Information, and have established policies and procedures to comply with this Code.
Summary of the 10 Principles of our Privacy Code:
- Accountability - we have designated a Privacy Officer who is accountable for compliance with the Principles of the Code.
- Identifying Purposes - when we ask for your personal information, we will identify the purposes for which it will be used or disclosed.
- Consent - we require your knowledge and express or implied consent for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information.
- Limiting Collection - the collection of personal information is limited to the purposes we have identified to you.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention - we will use or disclose your personal information only with your consent, or as required by law. We will retain your information for only as long as necessary to fulfill identified purposes and regulatory requirements.
- Accuracy - we will keep your information accurate, complete and up-to-date as necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- Safeguards - we will protect your personal information with appropriate security safeguards.
- Openness - we will make specific, understandable information readily available to you about our personal information policies and practices.
- Individual Access - when you request it, we will give you access to your personal information, how we use it and who we disclose it to. You are entitled to question its accuracy, its completeness and its uses.
- Challenging Compliance - you are entitled to question the Privacy Officer about our compliance with any of these principles.
Your Personal Information
We hold personal information about our members to help us meet and maintain the highest standards of financial service. This information can include your name, address, age, income, credit history and Social Insurance Number. We obtain this information from you directly, and from the product and service arrangements you have made with or through us. Information is also obtained with your permission from credit bureaus, other financial institutions and from the references you provide us. We do not sell your personal information to third parties or use it in any way we have not told you about.
Your personal information is collected for one or more of the following purposes:
- To verify your identity.
- To understand your needs and eligibility for products and services;
- To open, maintain and administer your accounts and provide financial services that meet your needs;
- To obtain credit reports and evaluate your credit rating and credit worthiness;
- To administer and manage security and risk in relation to your accounts and the financial services provided to you;
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements;
- To assist in dispute resolution;
- To offer and provide you with products and services of the credit union and of our affiliates and service suppliers; and
- To contact you to participate in research and/or surveys.
The law requires us to ask for your Social Insurance Number (SIN) when you open an interest bearing or investment account. A SIN is a mandatory requirement to hold a registered plan. We also ask for your SIN to identify you with credit bureaus and other financial institutions for credit matching purposes. Using the SIN is the best way to ensure the credit information we receive actually refers to you. Giving us your SIN is not a condition of service, with the exception of Registered Plans.
We use trusted and reputable suppliers to provide cheque and statement printing, data processing, research and payment clearing services. We provide them with only that information which is necessary to perform the required service. They are not allowed to use this information for any other purpose than what we contract them for and they are to protect that information in a manner that is consistent with our Privacy Code.
Depending on your needs, your information may be shared with one or more of our affiliates so that we can offer you a full range of financial products and services.
Depending upon the sensitivity of the information, you can provide us with your consent in writing, electronically or verbally. We will obtain your consent in writing when you become a credit union member or when you apply for a new service offering. We obtain your consent before we:
- obtain credit reports or check references;
- contact you about other products and services of the credit union by direct mail, email or telephone;
- share your information with our affiliates so that we can offer their products and services to you;
- disclose your information to third parties unless we are obliged to do so by law or where it is required for us to provide a certain financial service to you.
You may limit or withdraw your consent in writing at any time, subject to legal or contractual obligations (for example, TCU Financial Group is required by law to provide a record of your interest earning information to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)). If you wish to limit or withdraw your consent, please visit one of our branches to complete a Withdrawal of Consent form.